Parakeets love home-baked budgie bread
Use all-organic ingredients in this recipe if possible.
- 1 cup maize flour (cornmeal)
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs (with shells)
- 2 tbsp flax, millet and sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp pureed apple OR pear (no added sweetener – check, if you’re using a shop-bought puree)
- 1 large carrot OR medium sized parsnip, grated
- 1 tbsp finely chopped carrot tops, spring greens or spinach
- 1.6 fl oz cup water
Grind the egg shells into small pieces. Grind the seeds for a few seconds to release some of their oil. Beat the eggs, and mix in the egg shells, seeds, grated carrots, greens, and apple. Combine the flours and baking powder, and fold into the egg mix.
Form into a dough, adding a little water if it’s too stiff, and a little maize flour if it seems slack. Place the ball of dough on a floured baking tray, and flatten it with the palm of your hand until about 2 inches thick. Bake for 30 minutes at 390 degrees fahrenheit. To check whether it’s cooked through, use the skewer test: insert it through the centre of the loaf, and if it comes out clean, the bread is done. If the mixture sticks to the skewer, give it another five minutes.
Cut the bread into small squares and keep in the fridge. You can freeze it, but the defrosted squares will be very crumbly.